[Virtualacorn-list] VA and ROOL 5.nn

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 08:41:18 BST 2013

In message <5389a63980dave at triffid.co.uk>
  Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Not sure why anyone would want to substitite 6.20 on a VRPC install with
> retro ROOL 5.20/21 but there you go, a friend has asked, and I don't know
> the answer.

It it were possible then it is just a decision, which bunch of
facilities does one prefer and is any 26bit only needed.

We are where we are, there are two forks, there have been two forks
for some years now and there will probably continue to be two forks in
the future. I can't be bothered with all that anymore but I do have
choices.

I cannot think of any compelling reason why one would want to run 5.20
in preference to 6.20 on VRPC. If there was a version of VRPC that did
run OS5 I might use it because I already use OS5 elsewhere. Conversely
I do not believe OS6.20 is currently available.

There are four variants of rpcemu on my Mac, OS4.04 26bit only, OS4.04
with the Castle CLib, OS4.39 and OS5.21 demonstrating a complete
failure of decision making.

http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=602

> 2) If it can, has anyone tried to do it?

Not that I am aware of but as ever there has been plenty of talk.

But why would one want to! Oh, that was the original question.

--
David Pitt
Raspberry Pi RISC OS 5.21