[Virtualacorn-list] MDF for 2560x1440 pixel monitor

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 06:14:45 GMT 2013

In message <41ECAB3AA36C44A3B6352527803E6CBB at philipsdesktop>
  "T.O.M.S." <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Anyway, in accordance with Good Old Yorkshire trial-and-error, we've
> taken the MDF which Bruce G suggested earlier, and 'scaled down' the
> pixel_rate to 192600 (was 197000) to cater for the fewer pixels being
> displayed. So the test MDF now reads:

> # For display in the Windows desktop
> # 2560 x 1440 (51hz)
> startmode
> mode_name:2560x1440
> x_res:2560
> y_res:1440
> pixel_rate:192600
> h_timings:10,10,16,2560,0,0
> v_timings:10,0,0,1440,0,0
> sync_pol:0
> endmode

> We've tried this on 3 of our 1920x1200 pixel monitors - with the
> ARM7500 core emulation and 16M colours selected - and it seems to be
> running fine in 16M colours, with no evident instability.   :-)

May I ask what machines these test were done on?

> Screen memory comes out at 14400K, so there's a reasonable buffer
> before hitting the 16MB stops.

I have to report continued instability here on my iMac which given
more time does occur with ARM7500 in fullscreen mode even at the
native screen resolution 1920x1200 which is just over 8MB. Reducing
the pixel_rate of the 2560x1440 mode made no difference here. Reducing
to 16k colours did not help either.

To stop the instability I just have to Alt-Enter into windowed mode.

[snip]

> So, please, would any or all of you like to try this MDF on your
> monitor(s)? Does it give a stable, full-screen display in 2560x1440
> pixels? Does it give you 16M colours or does it drop to 32K? What's
> the screen memory used? Any other business? Are we there yet?

On my iMac the 2560x1440 MDFs themselves appear fine, the ARM7500
model in fullscreen is not however. The MDFs appear to work well with
with the StrongARM model but at 32k colours.

--
David Pitt