[Virtualacorn-list] MDF for 2560x1440 pixel monitor

Bruce Goatly bruce at goatly.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 22:53:06 GMT 2013

T.O.M.S. wrote:

> Many thanks to all of you for your helpful inputs. As a result, we've
> been in trial-and-error mode for the last couple of hours and *may*
> have sussed out a working solution.

Good news!

> On Sun Nov 3 17:35:15 GMT 2013 David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
> sayeth:
>
>> I have just tried the 2560x1440 mode above in 16M colours on
>> my 1920x1200 iMac and though it did seem display OK but
>> VRPC was not entirely stable with it when in full screen mode
>> giving errors like "abort on instruction fetch at &00000090".
>
> Understood, that rings a bell.  So question for Bruce G: Do David's
> observations tie in at all with the comments you made last March, when
> you said:
>
>> I'm finding the ARM7500 model too unstable ...  - things keep
>> falling over...
>
> and which caused you to reduce the colour depth to 32K, when it all
> came good?
>
> If so, I sense the problem *may* be that the screen memory in 16M
> colours is close to the ARM7500 core emulation limit (thought to be
> 16MB) and which may be triggering the hiccups. But who knows? I
> certainly don't...

I vaguely remember something of the sort...

However, I'm not completely certain which model I'm using now... I think it's
Arm710 but I no longer get the startup menu because some time ago it seems that
I amended line 2 of VA.cfg to "forceselect = 0" and removed all the Models
folders to VirtualRPC.app/Contents/Resources Disabled/ and left only Arm710 in
the Resources/Models folder (does all that make sense? My memory is hazy). So
the foregoing may not be relevant any more.

> Anyway, in accordance with Good Old Yorkshire trial-and-error, we've
> taken the MDF which Bruce G suggested earlier, and 'scaled down' the
> pixel_rate to 192600 (was 197000) to cater for the fewer pixels being
> displayed. So the test MDF now reads:

[snip]

> So, please, would any or all of you like to try this MDF on your
> monitor(s)? Does it give a stable, full-screen display in 2560x1440
> pixels? Does it give you 16M colours or does it drop to 32K? What's
> the screen memory used? Any other business? Are we there yet?

I may leave this to more courageous types for the time being, but if there are
no other volunteers I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the Good Old Yorkshire work on behalf of the community!

--
Bruce