[Virtualacorn-list] MDF for 2560x1440 pixel monitor

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 17:35:15 GMT 2013

In message <4F43CA908445457EBB7526C5FDC7F6EC at philipsdesktop>
  "T.O.M.S." <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> On Sun Nov 3 13:24:49 GMT 2013 Bruce Goatly bruce at goatly.co.uk
> sayeth:

>> The MDF that Alex kindly supplied in March, namely

>> # For display in the Windows desktop
>> # 2560 x 1440 (51hz)
>> startmode
>> mode_name:2560x1440
>> x_res:2560
>> y_res:1440
>> pixel_rate:197000
>> h_timings:10,10,16,2560,0,0
>> v_timings:10,0,0,1440,0,0
>> sync_pol:0
>> endmode

[snip]

>> You will have to change to using the ARM7500 emulation, as the
>> StrongARM one emulates the limitation of 2MB of VRAM of the
>> Risc PC.

VRPC on both the Mac and PC emulates 8MB VRAM on the non-7500 cores,
2MB is applicable to real RiscPC.

> It's 8MB 'VRAM' for the StrongARM and ARM610 cores on the PC variants
> of VirtualRPC, but again for my understanding, is it only 2MB for the
> Mac variant please?

The Mac and PC VRPCs are the same regarding VRAM size, but the cores
on the Mac version are Arm710, Arm7500, and StrongARM.

I have just tried the 2560x1440 mode above in 16M colours on my
1920x1200 iMac and though it did seem display OK but VRPC was not
entirely stable with it when in full screen mode giving errors like
"abort on instruction fetch at &00000090". I don't know whether it is
a display issue or a 7500 thing, or there might not be issue at all on
a Mac with that size screen.

VRPC on the Mac usually uses StrongARM, it is necessary to fetch a tin
opener to the VRPC app to access the menu offering the other cores.

This was with VRPC 1.7.0 on OS X Mavericks.

--
David Pitt