[Virtualacorn-list] VA & mimemap

Nick Roberts tigger at orpheusinternet.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 17:32:05 GMT 2013

In message <53097cc753cvjazz at waitrose.com>
       Chris Newman <cvjazz at waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <530941de9bj.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk>,
>    John McCartney <j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <53094e97accvjazz at waitrose.com>, Chris Newman
> > <cvjazz at waitrose.com> wrote:
> > > Hi again folks,
>
> > > Being away from home has forced me to look more closely at my VA
> > > setup & get things up to date.
>
> > > I used to use Adam at Snowtone's Mimeman programme to keep my
> > > mimemap up to date but he's left that project in obeyance so I've
> > > downloaded the latest MimeMap from Tim Hill
>
> > > www.timil.com/riscos/mimemap
>
> > > However, I'm not sure where it should live in my Virtual Acorn SA
> > > 4.02  on Windows XP laptop.
>
> > Hi Chris
>
> > I have a VA installation and in RISC OS 6.2 (as opposed to 4.02
> > which you are using) there is a MimeMap in the Network
> > configuration. It lives at:
>
> > HardDisc4.$.!boot.Choices.Default.Internet.Files.MimeMap
>
> Here on 4.02 I have
>
> HostFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Choices.Internet
>
> ie no "Files". That directory also contains 3 obey files - Routes,
> Startup & User. I, I've stuck my mimemap there for the while & will
> see what happens.
>
> Thanks for your help,

The easiest way to find the correct place to put the MimeMap file is to
use MENU on the task manager, go to "New Task", and enter

filer_opendir Inet:files

The filer window that opens is the correct place for the MimeMap file.

NB After putting your new MimeMap file in place, you need to execute a
"ReadMimeMap" at a command prompt, as otherwise it will have no effect
until you reboot.

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.