[Virtualacorn-list] Problems upgrading 4.02 to 4.39

Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 16:26:52 GMT 2012

On 25 Nov 2012  Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2012  Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

>> I think what you need to do is take ownership of the read-only
>> directory tree and contents, then change the permissions.

>> For Windows XP, You may need to do all the following steps, or it may
>> work after only the first.
>> (Windows 7 is likely to be a bit different.)

> Many thanks for these detailed instructions, but I'm afraid HardDisc4
> remains obstinately read-only. I'll have to phone he who installed it
> tomorrow.

I've now realised that I misread some of these instructions, and have
had another go, but still no go, I'm afraid.

>> (  For XP home this will first need to be done in Safe Mode, and all
>> subsequent steps will need to be in Safe Mode.
>>  Step 1
>>    Open any folder view.
>>    Click the Tools tab
>>    Click the view tab
>>    Scroll to the bottom, and make sure "Use Simple File Sharing"
>>      is NOT ticked.

> All in safe mode. I didn't have this, but I get the security tab
> anyway.

>>    You should now get the Security tab in the properties of folders.
>> )

>> Step 2
>> Go to Properties of the highest level folder.
>> Click the Security tab
>> Click the Advanced button
>> Click the Owner tab
>> If the owher is not shown as Administrators, or the name of an
>> Administrator, select Administrators from the list of names.
>> Tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects

> I don't get that wording here. I have "Replace permission entries on
> all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child
> objects", so I ticked that.

That was my mistake; I have now looked correctly in the Owner tab, and
have done all that.

>> Click OK
>> If you don't get any error messages proceed to the next step.
>> If you do get error messages, close all the windows, and repeat the
>> whole of the above. It should complete correctly the second time.

I might have misunderstood "close all windows". Do you men the windows
with the tabs and actions, or the folder display window? I've tried
closing one or the other, but it seems to make no difference.

> I did more or less all of that yesterday, but used Administrator.

> What I have as well as Administrator is "Peter
> Young(RISCBook2/Windows)", so as Administrator didn't do the business,
> I chose  that one.

> Maybe I'll have to do it again with Administrator, but I'm rather
> running out of time at the moment. If I have time later today I'll
> have a go; thereafter a busy week looms.

I'm still not sure which of these to use in the list of owners. I have
"Administrator", "Administrators" and the "Peter Young..." one. I've
tried all three, and all to no avail.

>> Step 3
>> Close all the windows.
>> Open the Properties of the highest level folder.
>> Untick Read Only
>> Select the Security tab
>> Select Administrators in the top window
>> Tick Full Control in the lower part
>> Click OK.

>> Step 4
>> If that gives errors,
>> Close all the windows.
>> Open the Properties of the highest level folder.
>> Select the Security tab
>> Click Advanced
>> Click the Replace permissions box
>> Click OK.

>> Now try step 3 above

>> It's brutal, and can be a bit fiddly. The problems come when each step
>> recurses down the tree. Sometimes a file lower down will resist a
>> change because the change to its parent has not yet taken effect. That
>> is why repeating steps, after closing and reopening the dialogs,
>> usually works.

> No errors, at any rate, but the end result was failure. Sitill, "fail
> again, try again, fail better" as Beckett more or less said!

And HardDisc4 is still read-only!

I'll send a copy of this message to Andrew tomorrow (hence the absence
of snipping, sorry), and appeal for help from him.

Thanks again,

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Ta     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.
        /  \__/ \_/ | \| \__/   \______________ pnyoung at ormail.co.uk