[Virtualacorn-list] Problems upgrading 4.02 to 4.39

Julian Fry julianfry at orpheusmail.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 17:56:23 GMT 2012

Peter,

> This is currently a thread on the Archive mailing list, but it seemed
> sensible to ask here too.

> The problem:

> I found I couldn't read the Archive magazine DVD on VRPC SE running
> RISC OS 4.02.

> The attempted solution:

> It was rapidly pointed out that 4.02 won't read DVDs, and I was
> advised to get the RISC OS 4.02 to 4.39 upgrade CD, which I did.

> This is what I posted to the Archive list:

> <quote>

> The 4.02 to 4.09 CD arrived today, but I've come across a Windows
> brick wall. The Installer app gets to the point where it's going to
> make a copy of !Boot, and then stops with this error message:

> 23 Nov 15:11:02 000 00000064: Error from RISC OS Installer: The
> installer cannot backup your !Boot sequence. Please ensure the !Boot
> sequence is not locked or on a write protected drive.Access violation

> This is on Windows XP, by the way.

Do you use UniPrint? If so try exiting the Windows part - right button
click on its icon in the icon bar and select "Exit UniPrint Server".
This program used to - and probably still does - sets the !Boot access
on the Windows side so that it cannot be copied. Stopping the program
releases this - but there could be other causes too. Good luck!

[snip]

--
Cheers

Julian