[Virtualacorn-list] VA on Windows 8 - CAUTION

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Mon Dec 24 12:25:41 GMT 2012

In article <50D82CB6.7010305 at druck.org.uk>,
   David J. Ruck <druck at druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 24/12/2012 05:56, Dave Symes wrote:
> > On all my MS-Win computers, the only Apps I install in Program Files
> > are anything MS or System related, everything else is installed in my
> > own directory called "Apps"  that's C:\Apps\ and that does include
> > VRPC.

> Then you are in for a whole world of hurt.

But fortunately I'm not you...
If that's your method, then excellent it works for you, the method I use
works for me and has done so for a very long time... And no world here was
hurt in the process. ;-)

> > As Alan has mentioned, things installed outside of Program Files live
> > in a different Universe, permission wise.

> Exactly.

> If there is one thing I've learnt from 20 years of struggling with
> Windows, it is; do not try to make it work the way you want it to, it
> only works the way it wants to.

There's many things I've learnt over the past  30 years playing with
computers (And credit where due, some of them by advice from you about
RISC OS matters).
Anyway... on the whole I don't struggle with Windows, I find it can for
the most part be cajoled into doing things the way I want, and mostly I
now enjoy using Win based computers (I did move to Ubuntu Linux a while
back, but that really was masochism incarnate).

> > *Most* app installers either have a button to change the path during
> > the install process, or you can edit the path in the writable manually
> > during the install.

> Never try to install applications outside of the Program Files
> directory, even if the installer offers you that option. I don't care
> how much you protest that it works for you, at some point you will have
> a problem, and the reason will be that you thought you knew better than
> Windows - well you don't, no one does. Either let Windows do what
> Windows wants, or use something else!

If... anyone is just a simple user of computers, then I would agree with
your sentiment, but in my case, being a bit more than just a user, I'm
quite capable of getting things to work my way without having any
noteworthy problems.
It's a machine, it will, like any other machine, within reason, bend to my
will.

> Cheers
> ---David

Thank you for your thought on the matter Mr D and I hope you and your lady
have a good seasonal holiday.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid