[Virtualacorn-list] I now have no idea Why!?

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 06:22:07 GMT 2012

On 22 Dec, dave at triffid.co.uk wrote:
> In article <mpro.mffzuk001btmv028c at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
>    Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
> wrote:
> [Snippy]

> > If you don't need the support that that dll provides, I'm not sure i'd
> > fix it.  If you do, you'll need to issue the right command to
> > re-register the dll.  There's some hints (because there are wrinkles)
> > at:
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4897685/how-do-i-register-a-dll-on-
windows-7-64-bit

> [Snippy]

> Thank you for your thoughts Jeremy... Indeed in the past I've even had to
> re-register the occasional Win dll to get it functioning.

> In this case Windows really doesn't like this particular atapicd.dll and
> will not re- register it.

> It doesn't appear to be needed by VRPC as it's not complained yet about
> it being missing, and I don't have a RO CD drive active anyway as I'm
> mounting the Win CD/DVD drive manually through the VRPC setup.

> Dave

Adding to the above when attempting to register the .dll (As
administrator).

The error report was:

"The module "atapicd.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer
was not found
Make sure that "atapicd.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try
again."

I've also tried it with the /n and /i switches but 64 bit Win really
doesn't like it at all.

Interestingly, I have another copy of VRPC installed on a 32 bit machine
with Win 7 Home, the atapicd.dll in that VRPC is identical to the one on
the 64 bit machine, so I guess it must be a 64 bit thing.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid