[Virtualacorn-list] Pah Hurumph!

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 07:07:25 GMT 2012

In article <mpro.meqlep001ls2z02c8.briduffell at yahoo.co.uk>,
   Brian <briduffell at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > Take no notice, I'm just having a Vent.
> >
> > As we all know VRPC is tied to the effing network card of a PC and mine
> > has just died.

> The network card or the PC?

Apparently, the only thing on the old machine that still works reliably is
the NVidia graphic card, so I've now decided to get a new machine.
(It took 7 goes yesterday to get it to boot from cold...)

[Snippy]

> > Yes I know, when it's all sorted, just phone Aaron for a new code, but
> > I've enough on my plate ATM without all this additional aggravation.

> I'm hoping there are contingency plans for if Virtual Acorn goes the same
> way as RISCOS Ltd. Does it still exist? I've recently bought RISC OS 6.20
> apparently from Uniqueway.

RO LTD still exists in name, but nothing has squeezed out of there for
three years now, and I kept my Select subscription going until last year
in the hope... But Acorn history will out...  ;-)

AIUI. There are supposed to be contingency plans in place for VRPC codes,
but obviously I have no idea what they might be.

That said, and the usual Acorn software past history (Unfinished browsers,
spreadsheet etc apps) Who knows how or if we'll be left hanging... I'm
*not* saying we will, but past history is always worth noting.

And I/we have couple of copies of VRPC to contend with. (Fay's runs RO
4.39 and mine runs RO 6.20).

Dave

--

Dave Triffid