[Virtualacorn-list] Second virtual Hard drive

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 17:54:08 BST 2012

Hello folks

Can I barge in as Dave Symes's post at 14:49 on 10 April gives a clue
as to the confusion:

> Boot-Configure-Discs and set hardDisc to an extra one, and
> yes up pops a new Hardisc icon of 50 Mbytes. Name that as
> HD5 and Bob's me wotsit...

Correct - but that is not a *HostFS* partition. It's a 'special' (to
VirtualRPC) *IDE* partition, specifically for use on those very rare
occasions when a RISC OS application will not run under HostFS - but
will under IDE. Sibelius comes to mind.

I hope this doesn't sound like blowing our own trumpets (yet again),
but there some more detail on that on p33 of the VirtualRPC In Use
booklet on http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/vrpcinuse/index.htm

Note that this IDE partition is very, very slow compared to HostFS
and, by default, is set to 50MB. You can increase the partition size,
but it's not a very user-friendly procedure.

So assuming that all you want is another *HostFS* 'hard disc' (in the
form of another standard Windows folder to back up RISC OS stuff),
then a *HostFS* 'HardDisc5' is a good way to do it. Read/write is very
much faster and, in practice, is not size-limited.

As others have said, you can set up a new HostFS 'drive' via the
Tools-Options-HostFS bit at the top of the VirtualRPC window. That's
in the VirtualRPC UserGuide and (if you don't change the address) will
result in 'HardDisc5' simply sitting alongside the default 'HardDisc4'
folder.

Under Windows, you can find them in the C:\Program
Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx folder (for the variant of
VirtualRPC installed). All the other VirtualRPC goodies (e.g. the
Model and PlugIns folders) are in the same place.

If you want, you can right-click over the 'HardDisc5' folder icon,
select Create Shortcut, then drag-and-drop the shortcut onto the
Desktop. Double-clicking on that will open the extra 'drive' storage
folder.

There's more blether on all that on p27 and p31 in the VirtualRPC In
Use booklet.

But as Jeremy Nicholl said at 13:11, 'HardDisc5' doesn't have to be
alongside HardDisc4, it can be anywhere else on drive C:, or indeed on
any other storage device. In principle, all you need to do is to type
the desired leafname and folder name into the Tools-Options-HostFS
window.

Or alternatively generate the folder manually, wherever you want it,
by right-clicking somewhere in the parent directory viewer, select
New-->Folder [Enter], then rename the new folder as HardDisc5. To
'see' it under RISC OS, you'll then need to set up a mount for it,
again via Tools-Options-HostFS.

Phew... HTH.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.