[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 13:45:28 BST 2011

At 11:32 on 6 Sep, Brian briduffell at yahoo.co.uk  said:

>> You can take any number of copies of the original VirtualRPC
>> installation, put them on any internal device or external plug-in
>> medium, and then run VirtualRPC *from the copy*.

> However, it may use the original copy of the hard drive, if an
> absolute
> path is in the config file. This may(will in my case) need tweeking
> if the copy is to be totally benign.

Yes indeed, and Mike Nicholl discussed the gotcha in the T.O.M.S. post
on 27 Aug. If you don't change the HardDisc4 pathname, it *will* still
point to hard disc drive C: in the host computer.

To summarise: You can freely run VirtualRPC (and RISC OS) from a
simple *copy* of the main VirtualRPC installation.

However if, say, you open the HardDisc4 mount on the copy, that will
still be pointing to hard disc drive C: in the host computer.

So if for some reason you wish to access HardDisc4 on the *copy*, you
will indeed need to amend the pathname to it (or alternatively set up
a new mount for it).

But IMHO the *copy* is then no longer 'benign'. If you change the
contents of the copy HardDisc4, they will no longer match those of
HardDisc4 on Drive C: in the host computer. So if the host drive C:
should become corrupt, you can't then simply copy-the-copy back to it.
;-?

HTH, Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.
toms at ndirect.co.uk