[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 10:51:05 BST 2011

Please can I comment on a previous post as it may give the impression
that VirtualRPC cannot simply be run from a copy of the original
installation.

At 22:12 on 4 Sep, Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk said:

> I suspect the problem is ... that there are registry entries
> associated with the software, which call up things in the
> original installed copy. With most windows software, you cannot
> simply copy or rename it elsewhere - you have to reinstall - and
> the registry is a large part of the reason for that.

In general I would fully agree with that. Happily however, VirtualRPC
is a very benign Windows application as far as making copies or
renaming it are concerned. You can take any number of copies of the
original VirtualRPC installation, put them on any internal device or
external plug-in medium, and then run VirtualRPC *from the copy*.

The fact that the copy wasn't installed using the master CD has no
adverse effects. And as the unlock code for the installation is
already contained in the VA.cfg file within the *copy* of
VirtualRPC.xxx, it will fire up (on the same machine) without
complaining.

(When making any backup/safety copy, we always fire up VirtualRPC from
the copy to make sure nothing 'orrible has happened in the copying).

HTH, regards to all

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.
toms at ndirect.co.uk