[Virtualacorn-list] Why doesn't VRPC register itself

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Tue Mar 1 09:58:10 GMT 2011

In article <51acff1bf2dave at triffid.co.uk> Dave Symes  wrote:
> In article <mpro.lhconl007cwl301rw at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
>    Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
> wrote:
> > Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > > In article <51accae1a1dave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
> > > <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote: [Snippy]
> > > Of course it would be better if I could fathom out just what was going
> > > wrong, then maybe it could be corrected, unfortunately I've not found
> > > it.
> > What do R-COmp say?
> Dunno! Not asked, they'll probably say it's a VRPC thing, nothing to do
> with UniServer.
And they may be right. I have Win XP Firefox (WF) running alongside VRPC
pretty much all the time.

I have a permanent 're-direct' for all VRPC email links, HTML files etc to be
sent to WF[1]. However, the first time I click on a link (after VRPC is first
run) will cause ROS to report back the standard message that it doesn't know
of an app'n to load the file. Clicking again, will load the link into WF
/and/ open C:\. WF usually also contains a blank tab for the failed load.

This isn't actually a WF error either. All PDF files are sent to Windows, too
and if the first file to be launched to WXP is PDF, I will get the same
error.

But it gets stranger... My VRPC is stored on a removable USB drive. So when I
am 'on the road', I plug it into my wife's netbook[2]. In this case, the
first click always launches correctly.

I've discussed the issue with Andrew, but since the VRPC installation has
merely been moved from one system to the other, where do you start? Now, I
just live with the first click of the day failing on my desktop.

[1] One reason why I can't use VRPC in full screen mode, but that's another
story.
[2] Before anyone asks, I have a second licensed copy of VRPC. ;-)

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net