[Virtualacorn-list] Overclocked processors...

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Tue Mar 1 07:35:59 GMT 2011

## This is for your information only, there are no questions here: ##

One of the effects of over-clocking that is not immediately apparent
(once you have settled on an over-clocking rate to run VA-RPC on) is
that over-stressed components (especially processors with their
ultra-fine lithography) 'wear' more quickly.

Eventually, because of this gradual 'wear', the over-clocking rate
that you settled on (which was just below that which caused
malfunction) will be over-taken, and your PC may well start
mal-functioning again.

This happened to me. All of a sudden the Windows screen (nothing
whatsoever to do with VA-RPC), started to look as though screen memory
was being used for program data and other functions, very much like
the old BBC-B or SA-RPC could do once in a while. There were regularly
spaced blocks of graphics (copied from some other window) all over the
place, as well as horizontal black lines in groups. The regular
graphic blocks were all re-arranged, as if into some large jigsaw
puzzle that no one had yet started on.

Nothing happened to any programs. No other malfunction was occurring
(luckily, it could have been much worse). Investigations began over
two days. We were just about to replace the graphics card when
everything went back to normal.

It seemed that the computer CPU processor clock rate had decided to
jump down from the resident CMOS settings to a lower range.

So, it wasn't the graphics card at all, it was the over-clocked
processor that was making the 'video' memory get all mixed up before
being sent to the graphics card for display.

I will now suss out a lower range for the over-clocked processor to
work over. One that is at least 2 notches of clock-rate down from any
graphics refreshing problems.

## This is for your information only, there are no questions here: ##
--

Cheers
Roger