[Virtualacorn-list] Triple or quadruple click on Windows7

Paul Sprangers p.sprangers at sprie.nl
Mon Jun 20 08:57:59 BST 2011

Op 20-6-2011 1:01, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn schreef:

> OK; does the program (started by right-clicking the .exe) start cleanly?
> Does it then shut down cleanly?
No, it makes no difference at all.

> Under XP right-clicking the .exe and choosing Properties allows me to see
> amongst other things 'Compatibility' options, none of which are set here.
> Does W7 have a similar display?  Is anything set?
Yes, W7 has a similar display.
Originally, nothing was set. But I've tried quite a few settings now,
especially the compatibility modes (that go back all the way to Windows
95!).
None of those settings made any difference. I still had to quadruple
click, and it still failed to shut down properly.

> Umm, surely all the stuff about trying to see if a process - any process,
> but probably VA - starts on the first double-click is very relevant.  I find
> it very hard to believe that nothing at all happens then, because until VA
> starts to run, none of what happens (or doesn't) has anything to do with VA.
>   (I don't find it hard to believe that nothing visible happens.  Finding out
> what happens seems to me to be important here.)
Of course, you're right. Apologise if I suggested otherwise.
In my reply to Alan Adams I've tried to describe the extremely modest
effects that are visible when starting the program by a normal double click.
It is obvious that at least SOMETHING is happening, but I haven't the
faintest clue whatsoever.

> It's a great pity that Windows doesn't offer the sort of detailed log that
> !Reporter gives us under RO.  The Event log info I described is the nearest
> I've been able to find to getting info on processes starting&  stopping.
>
> If it comes to that, do your event logs record anything, for example when VA
> fails to shut down?
I'm afraid this is largely exceeding my skills. For example, where can I
find the 'Event Manager's Security Events Log'. Is it part of the
Windows Task Manager?

> Was the recent install done 'as administrator' or whatever the right
> term is
> for W7?
Yes, I installed it 'as administrator'. W7 uses the same term and the
same policy.

> When you say it fails to shutdown properly, what actually gets left?  Do you
> get a fault reported (as Brian reported)?
I get exactly the same as what Brian reported.

> What happens if (with your machine not connected to the internet) you shut
> down your antivirus app?  Do you run any a/v or anti malware app that has
> 'real time protection'?  Or indeed a firewall that regulates what programs
> may start and what they may do - eg as Zone Alarm does under 'program
> control'?  What happens if you turn all of this off?
I run the commercial version of AVG since a few months. Before, I used
the free version.
Unfortunately, I've no idea how to shut down AVG, other than uninstall it.
If no other suggestion is left, I will give it a try, but I'd rather
leave it switched on.

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers