[Virtualacorn-list] Media player freezes when VA is active

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Fri Jan 28 17:28:24 GMT 2011

In message <4D427EEA.2030304 at druck.org.uk>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck at druck.org.uk> wrote:

> On 27/01/2011 22:28, Alan Adams wrote:
>> I've updated the BIOS and all drivers to latest versions. It's an
>> HP/Compaq nc6400, with 1GB RAM.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

> First thought is always to up the memory to 2GB. This will solve many
> freezing issues caused by limited memory and Windows' insanely
> inefficient VM system stalling while repeatedly backing off to memory.
> No guarantee it will fix all the problems you mention, but I can say you
> will notice the machine running better in general.

Agreed. I did notice VM usage of >900M the other day, which is far too
close in a 1GB machine.

> Second thought, and a very unpleasant one, is a complete reinstall of
> the system. Windows does suffer from accumulation of cruft, getting
> slower as it ages due to all registry entries, drivers and helper
> processes which accumulate through years of installing and upgrading
> software. Putting a clean install of Windows, and just the latest
> versions of the stuff you are actually using, can make it feel like a
> new machine again. Indeed its that as much as improved hardware is the
> reason why a new machine feels so much faster than the old one.

I've been putting that off. The one mistake I made last time I did
that, was not to create a separate data partition. If I had done, it
would be a lot easier to reinstall everything. At least the VRPC data
is in a second hard drive area - the harddisc4 one is just for booting
from. In fact most of my PC related data it in there too, so it's
accessible from the Iyonix when I need to.

I might have to get brave and use Partition Magic, create some free
space and put a new system partition there.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/