[Virtualacorn-list] HostFS and .doc .docx .xls and .xlsx

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Wed Jan 26 07:27:59 GMT 2011

On 20 Jan 2011, Dr Peter Young  wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2011  "T.O.M.S." <toms at ndirect.co.uk> wrote:

> [snip]

>> For MS Word files (.doc), AFAICT there's no RISC OS extension so Word
>> files will probably arrive in RISC OS as a text file, named
>> <filename>/doc.

> Well, Word files on this Iyo have the filetype MSWord (ae6), and show
> up with their own icon, as EasiWriter is "seen" at start-up.

>> However, Easi/TechWriter should then be able to import them directly.

> The one .docx file that I've received certainly loaded into
> EasiWriter.

> With best wishes,

> Peter.

OK, thanks to all who responded.

I've put doc and docx on the same line
and I've put xlx and xlsx on the same line

[That's 'cos I've no idea what the final 'x' means anyway, but perhaps
it means an x,y grid of cells? i.e. a spreadsheet?]

I only ask because someone sent me an xlsx file, and double-clicking
on it in RO made something on RO say it would soon be opening and
appearing on my PC (which is on the same computer). However, this
message was lying, it never appeared anywhere on the PC. This has
happened before for other fie formats, so I am not sure what is going
on. I assume UniControl had something to do with it, but I don't know
what, cos nowt happened anywhere, neither on RO nor on the PC.

--

Cheers
Roger