[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 19:33:10 BST 2011

At 18:56 on 27 Aug, Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk said:

>> We're still pondering the error message you reported in the
>> original post, it's got us flummoxed.

> This is the thing I'm really interested in myself,

If you paste the error message into Google, it gives oodles of leads -
none of which appear to apply directly to your sitch, but you may find
something lurking.

(NB there's a simple fix described - but it's for SP2 and not SP3...)
:-(

Thinks #1: The error message doesn't seem to apply directly, but if
you select Start -> Control Panel -> Security Centre -> Windows
Firewall and the Exceptions tab, there should be one or probably more
instances of 'Acorn RiscPC Emulator with RISC OS Adjust'. Make sure
all the box(es) are ticked, click on OK and try again.

Thinks #2: what happens if you re-start the computer in Safe mode?

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode)

Can you then plug in the USB drive and get VirtualRPC to run?

If yes, then it might be a conflict with A N Other programme.

Some of the other threads suggest temporarily disabling your
anti-malware software, then trying to run the application.

Sorry this is so vague, there doesn't appear to be a definitive cause.

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.
toms at ndirect.co.uk