[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 13:01:41 BST 2011

At 10:55am on 27 Aug, Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk said:

> Thanks for the additional notes Alex, running from other places
> has not been a problem until now. (Farce **)

> (**) Of course, in reality the whole thing is a farce, as none of
> the backed versions of VRPC are running really, all that
> double clicking the VRPC.exe is doing is running the one
> installed on the Hard drive. (nnn)
> The only way to run the stored versions, it to put them back
> on the Beast Hardrive.

Er, I believe that to be incorrect. You can have any number of
VirtualRPC installations (including different variants), running from
different storage devices, simply by double-clicking on the
VirtualRPC.exe file within each relevant VirtualRPC-xxx folders.

I've just tried running VirtualRPC-AdjustSA from the main hard drive,
VirtualRPC-Adjust from a plugged-in USB hard disc drive, and
VirtualRPC-SE from a plugged-in memory stick. They are currently all
running properly, in separate windows.

> The only way to run the stored versions, it to put them back
> on the Beast Hardrive.

Wronnnngg.... Only VirtualRPC-AdjustSA is installed on the internal
hard disc drive. The other two, -Adjust and -SE, are running direct
from the two plugged-in devices.

> (nnn) I know this to be a fact, as part of the testing I did
> recently involved Moving the Beast VRPC directory to
> another place on the same HD, then attempting to Run
> any of the backed VRPC versions... Pwarp!

In principle, moving the ProgramFiles\VirtualAcorn folder from one
place to another, although 'discouraged' * , should not affect the
ability to run a copy of VirtualRPC installed on any other storage
device, honest.

* NB that doing so is 'discouraged' by VirtualAcorn. The reasons for
that are discussed in the VirtualRPC In Use supplements, see
'Repositioning VirtualRPC (NOT!) in Supp. 3, p12
(http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/vrpcinuse/supp.htm).

HTH, regards

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.