[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 10:55:56 BST 2011

In article <73C59E61A0004805806FF43FB75C8CB1 at philipsdesktop>,
   T.O.M.S. <toms at ndirect.co.uk> wrote:
[Snippy]
> Move or copy? Either way it shouldn't make any difference to being
> able to run a copy of VirtualRPC from a plug-in USB drive.

Thanks for the additional notes Alex, running from other places has not
been a problem until now. (Farce **)

Okay, full skinny time.

As mentioned earlier, I have copies of the full VRPC directory all over
the place... Me paranoid... Never, I just know computers are out to get
me. ;-) (Jesting...)

Every computer in this house is networked connected (wired) and thus
attached to a NAS unit (2 Drives). So as well as archived copies (Acronis)
of VRPC within the whole PC backup set, I also have a directory on one of
the NAS drives which contains a number of copies of the VRPC Win directory
just plain copied there. (This happens about four times a year).

Additionally I have a copy of the VRPC Win directory on an 8 Gig Sandisk
memory stick.

>From the NAS directory, plain copied VRPC Win Directories, any of the
backed copies can be Run from the Beast over the network from the NAS.

Shove the memory stick in one of the Beast's USB ports and VRPC can be run
off it.
Shove the memory stick in the NAS spare USB port and VRPC runs.

The problem is just this USB hardrive, like the NAS drives it is formatted
NTFS (Memory stick is FAT32) and nothing will get it to play, even using
different USB sockets.

(**) Of course, in reality the whole thing is a farce, as none of the
backed versions of VRPC are running really, all that double clicking the
VRPC.exe is doing is running the one installed on the Hard drive. (nnn)
The only way to run the stored versions, it to put them back on the Beast
Hardrive.

Anyway, I've decided to forget the dedicated HD Backup for VRPC and stick
with the backups method I already have in place.

Dave

(nnn) I know this to be a fact, as part of the testing I did recently
involved Moving the Beast VRPC directory to another place on the same HD,
then attempting to Run any of the backed VRPC versions... Pwarp!

Dave Triffid