[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 19:47:51 BST 2011

In article <B8569D1BA50B4F8885F8A28304E4014F at philipsdesktop>,
   T.O.M.S. <toms at ndirect.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi

> At 16:37 on 26 Aug, Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk asked:

> >  1) Will VRPC run from a USB drive?

> I've just successfully fired up a full VirtualRPC-AdjustSA
> installation on a 4GB SDHC card stuffed into a netbook running Windows
> XP with SP3.

> The VirtualRPC + RISC OS + own goodies installation is a mirror image
> of what's on a ditto big beast PC, contained in a folder which is
> *NOT* compressed. Only the unlock code is different.

> So the answer looks to be Yes. The only difference against your setup
> seems to be  that no network card is involved.

> I've asked around the office and we have no idea what the error
> message might mean, sorry.

> HTH, regards

> Alex Hamilton
> pp T.O.M.S.
> toms at ndirect.co.uk

Thanks for the note...
Perhaps I should make this clear, this is not a new install or reinstall
from the Master CD, just move the whole VRPC Windows directory from one
drive to another, but on the same computer.

Probably, if I were to do a new VRPC install to the USB drive, then swap
that HD4 with my one it *might* work, (That's how it's supposed to work)
but on the other hand if it didn't, it might totally crap up my existing
VRPC install. (Has done in the past).

As I run my business out of this SARPC, I obviously have backups of
important stuff all over the place, but the VRPC on the Beast is the only
fully up-to-date working mirror of this SARPC.

At times VRPC can be such an uppity HOS.

Dave

At times I wonder why I'm still bothering with RO at all, and why I don't
just move everything to the PC.  ;-)

But there yuh go, I guess, RO has a special place in the heart.
D.

--

Dave Triffid