[Virtualacorn-list] It Happened Again

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Wed Apr 27 22:04:53 BST 2011

On 26 Apr 2011, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn  wrote:
> Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> It has happened again. What happened again is too long to fit in a
>> subject heading.
>>
>> I was running both Windows 7 and RO 4.39 (full details at foot of
>> e-mail) straight from Boot-up. I had plugged in an 8GB SDHC card into
>> a card reader which was plugged into a USB port.
>>
>> It was copying about 7GB of JPEG photos...

> When you say "it" do you mean the SDHC card was being accessed and copied
> from by RO, or by Windows?   If I were to do something like this I'd used
> windows directly to copy the files; I wonder if RO's support for whatever
> type of drive this appeared to be has a problem with such a large capacity
> card.

I think I have sussed out what was happening. I don't know why, but I
think that a PC image viewer was trying (or maybe succeeding in)
intercepting the RO transfers of JPEGs from the SD card, but only
after RO already copied hundreds of JPEGs in RO. [Hence the 'I don't
know why' meaning I don't know why it waited until maybe 1000 or more
JPEGs had been transferred before stepping in to intercept]

I think I have solved that aspect now, I have found a configuration in
the windows viewer to stop it wanting to look at any camera card I
might insert. I didn't want them going into that viewer even if I do
transfer the JPEGs in Windows anyway, so no loss in functionality
there.

I note your suggestion to do it all in Windows, which also seems to be
about 5x faster than doing it in RO :-))

>> Is there a Windows  keyboard shortcut to Shutdown the windows
>> Computer? I'll have to write that down on the LCD monitor so's I'll
>> remember it if it happens again.

> Dunno; google for it.  Not a good idea anyway.

> I do know though that:

>  Windows Key + D:

Thanks; I'll try that, but not before I've posted this reply...

--

Cheers
Roger