[Virtualacorn-list] It Happened Again

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Tue Apr 26 07:27:18 BST 2011

It has happened again. What happened again is too long to fit in a
subject heading.

I was running both Windows 7 and RO 4.39 (full details at foot of
e-mail) straight from Boot-up. I had plugged in an 8GB SDHC card into
a card reader which was plugged into a USB port.

It was copying about 7GB of JPEG photos onto an internal hard-drive
with oodles of free-space, which had copied well over 4GB when, all of
a sudden, I could see bits of the Windows furniture ON TOP of the
RiscOS Window (which is running full-screen). I could also see two
pointers: the RO one (which was imobile) and the Windows7 one (which
could move). No keyboard presses were operative on RO, in particular
ALT-RET would not do anything. Nor would any other RO keys. It was
dead, but wouldn't relinquish being on top of the windows desktop.

The only bits of windows furniture that were on top of the (dead) RO
desktop were those windows GADGETS I had configured on the windows
desktop, such as a Calender, CoreTemp, and the Weather gadget. Some
minor windows bits were also on top of the dead RO desktop, but not
any of the windows' programs icons.

Moreover, I could not shut down Windows. When I positioned the Windows
pointer in the bottom LH corner where the Windows START icon was
hidden beneath the RO desktop, I could click the windows mouse on it.
Up would flash the windows window for accessing the start menu (but it
also almost instantly vanished again. - In particular, try as I might,
I could not move the windows pointer fast enough over to where the
windows Shutdown Computer icon is before it vanished again. Wherever I
clicked (with the windows pointer) I was in danger of activating the
windows icons which were all  (all except the windows gadgets) hidden
beneath the dead RO full-screen window.

Is there a Windows  keyboard shortcut to Shutdown the windows
Computer? I'll have to write that down on the LCD monitor so's I'll
remember it if it happens again.

I reported something similar about 4 or 6 months ago.

 64-bit Windows 7 with 6GB RAM, ARM VA7500 model, RO 4.39. RO
VA-Adjust 16MB VRAM.

--

Cheers
Roger