[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 22:05:17 GMT 2010

Chris Hughes <chris at noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <5BAD186E-F76A-4E66-BA36-70CEDAFB1D0A at pittdj.co.uk>
>           David Pitt <pittdJ at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On 19 Nov 2010, at 18:39, Chris Hughes wrote:

> > [snip VRPC XP compatibility setting]

> > > To be clear here, none of the 4 Windows 7 machines here have this
> > > ticked.
>
> > One of my Windows 7 machines does require XP compatibility to be set. It
> > is the machine with the nVidia, geforce 8600M GT, graphics. Otherwise
> > VRPC in a Windows window does not awake from  sleep or hibernation,  a
> > failure create primary surface terminal error is issued.
>
> That sounds like a video driver issue. Are you using the latest drivers?

It is a driver issue and yes I am on the latest version. This machine, a
Toshiba Qosmio G40, was always problematic in its Vista days, I had thought
that Windows 7 had resolved this issue. However I rather think I may have
shot myself in the foot when on finding another machine required XP
compatibility to be disabled I did the same to this one. Whether this has
any relevance to what happens when something kicks VRPC out of full screen
mode remains to be seen.

I have been in much the same position as Roger, though the symptoms are a
bit different, but the upshot is that VRPC gets unexpectedly and
irreversibly trashed when forced out of full screen mode by some other
event.

It would seem that there is an issue with VRPC being thrown out of full
screen mode, but it may or may not crash in the process. If it does crash
then Alt-Enter will not work.

--
David Pitt
Windows 7