[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Thu Nov 18 12:42:12 GMT 2010

On 18 Nov 2010, Chris Hughes  wrote:
> In message <5c2a0d7851.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> On 18 Nov 2010, David Pitt  wrote:
>>> Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

[snip]

> How about trying to download and install the latest nVidea Video
> drivers and see if that improves things.

I can try that, but was wary, since that may cause other problems in
its own right. On the latest available download that was available
(that I didn't download) it expressly said that it can cause problems
if not carried out with full compliance to the conditions.

It also said that if we waited a bit longer then an even newer version
might be produced that would not require messing about with dicey
bits.

[I think it was saying that the present download is a bit like the
Iyonix RO 5.xx downloads, and replaces its operating system in a way
that could cause problems if it went wrong in any way. The newer
version yet to be produced would not exhibit these potential traps].

So I thought that I would wait for that newer update rather than risk
having a computer that doesn't work at all afterwards.

>>> I am minded to move that copy of VRPC to another PC. A second copy of VRPC
>>> on another laptop has been OK so far but it has not been used much.

>> Somethings flakey somewhere.

> A number of suggestions have been made by me and others to help you
> have you done any of them yet?

I've done most of the relevant ones. Many do not apply to me. I don't
have an external screensaver, I don't have (potentially dodgy)
external AV software, I don't have automation tools, or non-standard
keyboard defs, or run StrongEd, or external (potentially dodgy)
security monitoring software, or application launchers, etc, etc, etc.

> 1) Contact R-Comp ensure you have the lastest UniPrint plus
> instructions on installation etc. (there are both Windows and RISC OS
> parts to this).

Andrew says that this 4.03 > 4.04 upgrade does not apply to me since I
dont use the network side of it. It wasn't a general update. It only
applied to certain people. Therefore the lack of this update might be
another red herring.

> 2) Once that is updated - test

I cannot test anything - since I cannot initiate this fault condition
on demand. It might occur at any time (only twice in 3 months).

But where is this WinXP compatibility mode setting? (and do I need to
set this when I'm using Win7 - that is -  if Andrew Rawnsley has not
already set it - and I have no reason to suppose he omitted this
(apparently vital) step).

--

Cheers
Roger