[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 11:06:14 GMT 2010

In message <mpro.lc2rcz0000228044p.pittdj at pittdj.co.uk>
          David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> On 16 Nov 2010, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn  wrote:

> [snip]

>>> Indeed.  It worries me that Roger is having so many problems that others
>>> don't see.  Why?
>>
>> I'm a RO power user that doesn't really know how to work windows :-)

> VRPC should not require in depth expertise in the host but Windows does need
> to be kept safe.

>> Does that mean that no one has ever seen the condition I described (way
>> above) where the RO window is just a ghost temporarily hiding all the
>> active Windows things underneath it until a mouse button is pressed when
>> the active windows underneath are very very briefly (about 1 scan-frame
>> period) visible? If so, I am surprised.

> I have not seen Roger's manifestation but it comes as no great surprise
> that there are problems. I have seen VRPC destroyed by PC activity, with
> Vista particularly. I had believed that Window 7 resolved that but now I
> have my doubts. NVidia graphics seems to be a hazard.

I had a minor problem when I initially went to Windows 7 and after I
downloaded and installed the latest nVidea drivers the problem was
resolved.

> This morning I was using VRPC on Windows 7 in full screen mode when it
> suddenly collapsed out of full screen mode to a black screen within a
> Windows window. It did this twice. I saw no sign of anything unexpected
> within Windows, the harddisc was doing something but I did not manage to
> work out what that was. Two Alt-Enters got VRPC back. And then it did it
> again. No big deal perhaps but it does add to my view that VRPC does not
> always sit comfortably on its host.

Why not find out what the Windows host is doing and fix that. Do you
have a daily virus scan running or something similar?

> I am minded to move that copy of VRPC to another PC. A second copy of VRPC
> on another laptop has been OK so far but it has not been used much.

nearly all the issues I have encountered are usually caused by some
badly behaved background task. AVG caused issues at one time.

--
Chris Hughes