[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Tue Nov 16 19:46:34 GMT 2010

Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

...lts - what a great post!

> There seem to me to be a few possible explanations:
>
> 1  Another application has claimed input focus, so the alt-enter isn't
> delivered
>
> 2  Another app has grabbed all key presses, with the same result.
>
> 3  Something has redefined the keyboard, and lost alt-enter.

When he described a previosu problem I wondered about this sort of thing.
Someone asked what other apps he's running and he mentioned some, but I
wonder more about things that might specifically be trapping keypresses.

Assuming there's no keylogger misbehaving (when did he last do a full a/v
and malware scan?) does he have

 - any dubious screensavers   (in my view MANY screensavers are dodgy)

 - any 'automation' tools that can monitor or playback key & mouse
   events

 - any malware or security tools with a 'resident monitor' component
   (I tend not to trust these not to interfere)

 - any application launcher or similar tool that might be swallowing
   key presses

 - any non-standard keyboard shortcuts he's defined, which - depending
   whwere it's been done, might mean there's keyboard intercept code
   loaded by another app.  Has he done anything like that in Windows
   or even RO (if you go mad in eg StrongED I wonder if you can cause
   problems for yourself?)?