[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 09:59:26 GMT 2010

In message <4f2dbb7651.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 15 Nov 2010, Chris Hughes  wrote:
>> In message <dcada47651.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
>>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> [snip]

>>> But <ALT-RET> is exactly the same as <ALT-ENTER/RETURN>, isn't it? and
>>> it DOES NOTHING, just as I said...

>> In effect yes and it works here fine if that happens. You must have a
>> odd set-up on your PC.

>> What firewall and anti-virus packages are you using?

> Andrew set it all up for me, and I haven't dared tinker with it,
> whatever and wherever it is. I think he said it was all done by
> Windows 7, and I didn't need to get any extra firewall package or
> Virus pakage.

That probably means Windows Security Essentials and the built in
Windows Firewall.

Have you never scanned your Computer?
Do you check your anti-virus is upto to date?

Its no use pretending Windows 7 does not exist on the computer, you
need to learn a bit about it.

>> Have you contacted R-Comp for the instructions yet?

> Not yet. And as far as I know, I have had no updates yet, uless it was
> all automatic on the windows side and happened without my knowledge.

Since it was supplied with the Computer, you should have got the
instructions with it then. Just *ask* them for another copy of them.

>> Which version of Uniprint are you using on RISC OS side and the
>> Windows side to ensure you have the correct matched pair.

> Like your set-up, it was all set up for me by Andrew Rawnsley.

Mainly because I was rather ill at the time. But at least I look at
the program that were installed etc, to learn about Windows 7 (since I
had had XP previously)

> Other than that, I don't know. I could Run UniContrl which Andrew put
> on my desktop here, but I think doing so initiates the problem,  so
> will do so after I save this message, in case I lose it.

> OK, it didn't crash when I ran it this time, but I wasn't trying to
> transfer something between RO and Windows with it. Its version 4.03 on
> the RO side.

I believe its version 4.04 now an update was sent out awhilw ago to
fix some issues with 4.03 and instructions on installation where
included. If you don't think you have this again contact R-Comp.

If fact since they supplied the computer you could ask them about your
problem as well.

> I don't know what it is on the Windows side, I cannot find it in the
> Programs listing.

Right click over the icon while it is running and click on about/help
etc.

>  [snip]

>> You have to give us more details of what applications are run on the
>> Windows side. As I said, Anti-Virus, screen savers, Firewall, etc.. So
>> we can stop those apps interfering with VA when its full screen.

> Of the Windows apps that seem a bit dodgy, I sometimes run iCoolPlayer
> (a FLAC file player) and foobar2000 (another FLAC player).

> BoncEnc is sometimes also prone to quitting itself all by itself too,
> but I wasn't using that when this particular kind of crash occurred.

> All these programs are from the SourceForge, which I thought was a
> reputable source, but I think I'm changing my mind on that score. None
> are beta.

There is nothing wrong with SourceForge.

Which of those programs did you have running at the time of the
problem? Any or none?

How often do you get the VA issue (daily, weekly, monthly)?

Have you considered running VA in a window full screen and then you
can find out which application generates the issue. Yes you can turn
off the windows pointer - so you don't have two pointers. If you don't
know how ask.

But you really need to do the following steps to start sorting out
your issues.

1) Contact R-Comp ensure you have the lastest UniPrint plus
instructions on installation etc. (there are both Windows and RISC OS
parts to this).

2) Once that is updated - test

3) If still having a problem run VA in a window full screen if you
want and then you should be able to see which program is causing the
issue.

4) then fix (or tell us which program is causing the issue).

--
Chris Hughes