[Virtualacorn-list] Loosing internet connection with XP

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Thu Apr 22 09:43:36 BST 2010

In article <8a2ed80b51.ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com> ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com wrote:

> In message <mpro.l193s500qupkd01nw at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>
>           Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn
> <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
[snip]
> > Ages ago I found that (with my VM cable connection) executing almost any
> > command at all (not internet related stuff) took forever unless my
> > firewall has been told that the DNS servers I'm connected to are
> > 'trusted'.
[snip]
> > With no internet connection there was an immediate failure of
> > whatever-it-was to communicate with the outside world, and with a
> > 'trusted' DNS server whatever-it-was worked ok... but otherwise it took
> > 1-2 /minutes/ to decide that it should just do the command anyway.
> The DNS address the machines have is the router address, which, I
> assume contacts VirginMedia.
That sounds like a problem I had when Plusnet took over Madasafish.

When the router connected it was 'allocated' one of their DNS servers. If the
router happened to get a Plusnet server, everything 'fell over' & I had
problems accessing web pages.

ITE I had to put the original DNS servers into my router & everything was ok.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

Fidelity: A virtue peculiar to those who are about to be betrayed.