[Virtualacorn-list] Loosing internet connection with XP

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Wed Apr 21 22:42:37 BST 2010

In article <9b2c9a0b51.ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com> ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com wrote:
> In your message you wrote wrote:
> > ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com wrote:
> >> I have a RISCube with XP emulating RISC OS 4.39. This is on a LAN with
> >> an Iyonix, and a RiscPC (4.39) or an XP laptop as needs require.
> >>
> >> The RIScube and the laptop sometime loose their internet connection,
> >> reporting that it could be a DNS problem and offering to investigate
> >> and repair the connection.
> > What's reporting the loss of connection?
> Windows. "Windows cannot make a connection" or some such words.
[snip]

> > Is that a wireless conection (in which case, I'd say losing one often is
> > normal)?
> All wired.
>
> >> On all but one occasion when this happened the Iyonix still had an
> >> internet connection
> > - and might that be a wired connection to the router?
> Yes, via the (same) router.
Have you tried resetting the router when it happens? Might be that the DHCP
lease has expired & not renewed properly.

I find that quite often (PC) Firefox takes an eternity to resolve URls & most
times quitting & re-running it solves the problem for a short while.

Then Hermes can't access my mailboxes on VRPC. usually restarting ROS solves
this, but not always. In this case, resetting the router cures the problem.

While my Riscube is having problems, everyone else can access the 'net
without a problem.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

The trouble with born-again Christians is that they
are an even bigger pain the second time around. Herb Caen