[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Sun Oct 4 17:30:11 BST 2009

In message <5c2d5a550%klp at klp.plus.net>
          Keith Pascall <klp at klpascall.plus.com> wrote:

> In message <50a4ea2ec6charles at charleshope.demon.co.uk> you wrote:

>> On 03 Oct, Dr Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> another possible cause is a virus checker running on the underlying PC.  I
>> installed Norton on my Alpha1 and found that was constantly interrupting my
>> work on the RISC side.  when I removed it, all recovered.  AVG casued no
>> such problems.
>> Make sure you don't have any "auto-updates" turned on.  These, too, can
>> slow evertything down, especially when they are accessing the internet.
>>

> Have tested start up with and without Avast protection and the time is
> about the same. So I do not think it has any great effect. I mostly
> notice it during typing but on odd occasions VA seems to freeze for a
> second or two. I will run task manager and try to observe if anything
> takes over.

I encountered something like this which I traced to an excessively
long USB cable to a printer. The clue was the alternating ping-pong,
then pong-ping of USB detection and disconnection. If you've got the
sound turned off, you wouldn't notice it.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/