[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

Keith Pascall klp at klpascall.plus.com
Sun Oct 4 16:40:36 BST 2009

In message <50a4ea2ec6charles at charleshope.demon.co.uk> you wrote:

> On 03 Oct, Dr Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> another possible cause is a virus checker running on the underlying PC.  I
> installed Norton on my Alpha1 and found that was constantly interrupting my
> work on the RISC side.  when I removed it, all recovered.  AVG casued no
> such problems.
> Make sure you don't have any "auto-updates" turned on.  These, too, can
> slow evertything down, especially when they are accessing the internet.

Have tested start up with and without Avast protection and the time is
about the same. So I do not think it has any great effect. I mostly
notice it during typing but on odd occasions VA seems to freeze for a
second or two. I will run task manager and try to observe if anything
takes over.

Regards

Keith

--