[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

charles charles at charleshope.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 4 13:19:42 BST 2009

On 04 Oct, ATimbrell <ATimbrell at aol.com> wrote:
> charles at charleshope.demon.co.uk writes:

> >Make sure you don't have any "auto-updates" turned on.  These,  too, can
> >slow evertything down, especially when they are accessing the  internet.
>
> That's, I am sorry to say, not so good advice. Having Windows to to
> download updates automatically is best policy. I always have Windows
> downloading automatically, but I decide when they will be installed.
>

> Some updates can be important security fixes and these should always be
> installed.

I didn't say don't do updates, but if you are trying to do work with the
machine, auto-updates can slow it down to less than a crawl.  This is why
my autoupdates are done in the early hours of the morning on the "under
desk" machine and on switch-on on the laptops.

--
>From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11