[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

charles charles at charleshope.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 4 11:45:45 BST 2009

On 03 Oct, Dr Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2 Oct 2009  Keith Pascall <klp at klpascall.plus.com> wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > I am getting a problem in Virtual RPC with typed letters being missed
> > out. Not specific letters but random. It appears that occasional key
> > presses are not being passed fast enough (or blocked by another
> > operation) to Virtual RPS display before another one is pressed which
> > is then displayed in its place (making my spelling look worse than it
> > is) I do not have this problem if I work in Windows.

> > Something seem to be halting/taking over the system. The disc drive
> > light comes on briefly every few seconds, but no more than usual.

> Just a thought, but could this:
> http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=549&p=2141&hilit=priority

> perhaps be relevant?

another possible cause is a virus checker running on the underlying PC.  I
installed Norton on my Alpha1 and found that was constantly interrupting my
work on the RISC side.  when I removed it, all recovered.  AVG casued no
such problems.
Make sure you don't have any "auto-updates" turned on.  These, too, can
slow evertything down, especially when they are accessing the internet.

--
>From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11