[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

Steve Joyce Steve at joyces.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 2 18:24:10 BST 2009

In article <ce89e1a350%klp at klp.plus.net>,
   Keith Pascall <klp at klpascall.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

> I am getting a problem in Virtual RPC with typed letters being missed
> out.
> Not specific letters but random. It appears that occasional key presses
> are not being passed fast enough (or blocked by another operation) to
> Virtual RPS display before another one is pressed which is then
> displayed in its place (making my spelling look worse than it is) I do
> not have this problem if I work in Windows.
I've had this problem from day 1. Misses the occasional character - also
seems random. Like you, I've disabled auto updates for windows and AVG,
tried various settings for VRPC, but nothing seems to make any difference.

> Something seem to be halting/taking over the system. The disc drive
> light comes on briefly every few seconds, but no more than usual.
[snip]
Its my guess that some windows program is stealing processor time, but
identifying the culprit(s) seems impossible as it is mostly single
characters that get lost - I doubt the Task Manager would be sufficiently
responsive to provide useful evidence.

> My equipment is:

> Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, 2GHz Pentium processor, 2GB RAM, Windows XP
> Home SP3, Avast virus protection and Ashampoo firewall protection (kept
> up to date),
Mine is an Acer laptop with a very similar spec - 2Gb, XP Home+SP3.

> Virtual RPC-Adjust Strong Arm, 32K RAM (but have tried higher values),
> all other configure/model settings as supplied.
If I could resolve this problem it would make ditching my RPC so much
easier.

Cheers,

Steve