[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

Keith Pascall klp at klpascall.plus.com
Fri Oct 2 11:35:07 BST 2009

Hi all,

I am getting a problem in Virtual RPC with typed letters being missed out.
Not specific letters but random. It appears that occasional key presses
are not being passed fast enough (or blocked by another operation) to
Virtual RPS display before another one is pressed which is then
displayed in its place (making my spelling look worse than it is) I do
not have this problem if I work in Windows.

Something seem to be halting/taking over the system.
The disc drive light comes on briefly every few seconds, but no more than usual.

All tweeks on Virtual Acorn website, re speed, have been applied.
I have disabled all the auto updates in Windows programs that I can find.
I have also cut down the Icons on both Desktops to a minimum.
Defrag and registry cleaning is used regularly.
I have reduced the screen colours to 3200 on Virtual RPC.

Have I just reached the limit of the computer operational speed?
I suspect that something is running under windows which takes over the
system briefly but my knowledge does not stretch to knowing what or how
to find it. Can anybody offer any pointers?

My equipment is:

Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop, 2GHz Pentium processor, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Home SP3,
Avast virus protection and Ashampoo firewall protection (kept up to
date),

Virtual RPC-Adjust Strong Arm, 32K RAM (but have tried higher values),
all other configure/model settings as supplied.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Regards,

Keith

--
Keith Pascall