[Virtualacorn-list] Internet Explorer problem

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Nov 23 21:21:15 GMT 2009

One to beware of if you reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

If you upgrade IE6 to IE8, Adobe download manager locks up IE, which
means you cannot install Flash, Shockwave etc. This has only shown up
recently, as until about a month ago Windows Update offered IE7 on a
machine with IE6, then offered IE8. Now it offers IE8 on a machine
with IE6. (If Adobe locks up, it is likely other things will too.
Microsoft need to fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Fortunately you can still get IE7 from Microsoft's download site, so
the solution is to download and install IE7 before allowing Windows
Update to convert to IE8. This three-stage route works.

It took two fun days of building and rebuilding two PCs to discover
what happened, and the solution. Fortunately they were new, fast
computers, so it wasn't quite as time-consuming as it could have been.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/