[Virtualacorn-list] Unexpected message on this mail list...

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 23:27:55 GMT 2009

Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:
> Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > This suggests that someone else's machine, perhaps containing an address
> > book that has my address in it, may have been compromised.

[...]

> It's a pity there's no easy way for me to identify which subscriber it is
> from the headers of the spam you've received.

I've just received a moderation request for a spam to another list, along
with a copy of the spam to the owner address (and one sent to me, which got
through my filters).

Other than me, there's actually only one person subscribed to the list
(which is effectively defunct, but I've left the life support machine
switched on) - and that person does subscribe to this one as well.

It's *possible* the list address being spammed (resulting in a mod request)
was the result of something spidering the mailman pages, but if that was the
case I'd see the moderation requests (and owner copies) for other lists as
well, so my bet is that I've identified the person who's machine is
compromised, and an email will be winging its way to him right after I send
this.

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software