[Virtualacorn-list] Unexpected message on this mail list...

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 19:05:22 GMT 2009

Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

[...]

> This suggests that someone else's machine, perhaps containing an address
> book that has my address in it, may have been compromised.

Yes, that is the most likely cause - and particularly likely given what this
list is for (ie, by definition, most if not all of the people on this list
are here because they're using an emulator on an OS that can be
compromised).

It's a pity there's no easy way for me to identify which subscriber it is
from the headers of the spam you've received. /Possibly/ the originating IP
address from the first (chronologically) of the Received: lines could be
matched with the IP address of someone posting here, on another list, or to
comp.sys.acorn on usenet - but there's no guarantee the person with the
compromised machine is even posting, and it can be a tedious task.

It might be worth you posting whatever information you can identify, though
- ie "FAO whoever has IP address blahdeblah, on such-and-such netwotk; your
computer has a virus."

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software