[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Brian Carroll briancarroll at f2s.com
Sun Feb 15 20:09:01 GMT 2009

In article <5027778e31briancarroll at f2s.com>, Brian Carroll
<briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:
> In article <c3b614f64f.chris at cumbrian.demon.co.uk>, Chris
> Hughes <chris at noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> [Snip]

> > That did not work for me, what did work was the access
> > permissions for the user account (active directory rights).

[Snip]

> Could I have some advice whether RO6.14 is likely to be stable
> on my VRPC version, and how to sort out the user rights that
> Chris refers to above. [I too have a single user machine with
> no passwords or users set but no access to some root folders].

> Also, is it necessary to remove the 'Read only' restriction
> from HostFS::HardDisc4 , as Aaron recommends?

Well, thanks to the very helpful advice in this thread and the
RISC OS 6.10 onto VirtualAcorn-AdjustSA running on Windows XP
(HE) SP3.  For the record before doing the installation I:

a.  Checked for unplugged modules and RMReInit-ed the 2 I found,

b.  Made a copy of the installed HardDisc4 complete with all the
applications and stuff I had transferred from my RiscPC, onto a
separate Windows hard disc.

c.  Removed the Read only restriction from HardDisc4,

d.  Disabled most of the long list of entries in Configure > Boot
 > Look_At and  Boot > Run  .

e.  Checked, as far as I could after Alan Adams' tutorial, that I
had full Admin access to everything on my PC.

The installation proceeded without any problem; I installed the
'real floppy' plug-in, Direct-X and manuals as well. On
restarting, the double boot proceeded exactly as expected without
a hitch.

I then installed a few of the optional software and utilities
where my existing versions needed to be updated.

                        -----------oOo-----------

After playing about with the new installation most of today there
are a few little problems on which I would be grateful for help.

a.  The floppy drive does not work on either ADFS or DOS
floppies, though the latter are fine in Windows XP.  I definitely
have realfloppy.dll in C:\Program Files\Virtual
Acorn\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA\Plugins\realfloppy\ .  I made a virgin
installation of VRPC-AdjustSA on a different hard disc, which
works fine and finds floppies OK, so there is something wrong
with the main installation (which has years worth of fixes,
tweaks, utilities and applications so I don't want to start
building it again).

b.  There are /2/ backup Boots which seem to have appeared in the
root during the installation of RO6.10 : 'Boot96846' and
'Boot_N'.  Do I need both? Which should I use if I go back to
RISC OS 4.39?  Why is '(N)' appended to the hard and RAM disc
headers, eg, 'HostFS::Penguin.$ (N)'?

c.  I cannot control the background colour of !Edit properly
using Edit$Options in file Choices:Users.Single.Boot.Tasks.Edit

Set Edit$Options : F9 B5 W12 H12 M5 L0 T0 U5000 A105 NCorpus.Bold

The background colour (dark grey) is set only for lines that
contain 1 or more characters, leading to a zebra-like display for
many files.  (Please don't waste time telling me about Zap and
StrongARM; I happen to like Edit for quick text jobs). This does
not happen with RISC OS 4.39 but I did once see something similar
with one of the earlier Selects I think.

Look forward to your comments :-)

Brian.