[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Draw problem

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 16:50:57 GMT 2009

In article <502c1522afdave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
<dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

> Okay folks, new tests, but only for those with WinClip
> 0.22

> We started out with this: Can you please do it.

> 1) Draw an object in a Draw window, Ctrl-C then Ctrl-V

> "Text area must end with a newline character."

Yes, this is what we find.

> 2)  Take some text in either Zap or Edit, hilight it, do
> Ctrl-C , then in a Draw window Ctrl-V

> "Text area must end with a newline character."

No, the text has pasted in correctly from Edit and from
StrongED. This is because I ended the text with a newline
character. If I don't end with a newline character, the
error message pops up.

> Quit WinClip, the Past works correctly.

Copying and pasting any object works correctly. Pasting in
from Edit only works if the text ends with a newline
character.

> 3)  Re Run WinClip. In Draw hilight an object, Ctrl-V
> then Ctrl-C

The error message pops up as expected.

> Now hilight a bit of text in a Zap (Whatever) window
> Ctrl-C then attempt tp Ctrl-V into a new Zap, Edit,
> Ovation Pro, Imp Publisher, Pluto window and all that's
> pasted is DrawÉ (E acute) as of the first five character
> of a Drawfile header.

No, it pastes into Impression and Pluto OK.

> Quit WinClip, the Paste now works correctly.

It did anyway.

> Even more interesting...

> 4)  Totally quit VRPC then reboot. (So we can start
> clean) Obviously WinClip running.

> Open a Draw window. Do *nothing* in that window

> Hilight some text in Zap, Ctrl-C then Ctrl-V it into the
> Draw window, it pastes okay.

Only if the text ends with a newline.

> This holds true for the other aformentioned apps.

Works with and without a newline terminator.

> But the moment you attempt a copy and paste in Draw, beit
> a text area or a graphic object, up pops the message, and
> thereafter the other apps cannot Copy/Paste from the
> global clipboard.

I've just seen DrawÉ for the first time.

> They can still all Copy/Paste locally. ie: Something
> Ctrl-C in Publisher can be Ctrl-V in Publisher okay.

Yes.

John

--
John McCartney