[Virtualacorn-list] Dual Booting MacOS 10.4/10.5

Paul Morrison paul.morrison1 at tesco.net
Tue Feb 3 12:41:54 GMT 2009

Curiosities:-

Had a nasty and terminal crash on my G4 15in Powerbook. As I had the
original instal discs for OS 10.3 (Panther) and the upgrade for 10.4
(Tiger) I saw no big issues with a clean instal. (I was not then
aware of the RAM issues which throw up problems with the instal
disc). The instal disc came back as corrupted. I tried going back to
my local Apple dealer who assured me that Leopard would instal
without any trouble. This was true but 75% of the Apple applications
I use weren't Leopard compatible. Virtual Acorn is excellent by the
way -- none of the networking issues that existed under Tiger, once I
sorted the firewall. Before I started installing Leopard I
partitioned the laptop's hard disc.
Irritated with Leopard, I came across the RAM thread -- it seems that
even a very small mismatch in RAM strips can throw the installation
off. I used the disc utility on my Mac mini, and the instal discs
were perfect. So, I took out one of the RAM strips, and borrowed a
friend's identical powerbook. Starting mine with the "T" key, I
plugged in a firewire cable to the other laptop, and, nothing
ventured, nothing gained, inserted the 10.3 instal disc. It gave me
three choices of boot disc, my friend's laptop hard disc, the
partition with Leopard and the empty partition. I chose the empty
partition and the installation went right through to the familiar
Panther desktop. Shutting everything down and unplugging the firewire
cable, I re-started my powerbook holding down the "alt" key. This
brought up a choice of boot disc. Booting with the Leopard disc
brought up Leopard, and similarly with Panther, which I then upgraded
to Tiger, installed Classic, and al of my apps worked.

What has this to do with Virtual Acorn, you ask. Well the surprise is
that there is no need to copy over Virtual Acorn to the Tiger boot
drive. It works perfectly happily from the Leopard Drive, although
operating under OS 10.4.  Is ther some snag I haven't encountered yet?

I am quite sure that techies will tell me that this instal method is
unstable and I am happy to accept that -- at least I can use my
computer in the way that I want to, and if it crashes eventually,
well I'm no worse off. particularly since I back everything up
regularly.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Paul