[Virtualacorn-list] Printing from VA via an Access shared printer

Chris Shepheard chris.shepheard at chrispics.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 19:08:04 BST 2008

In message <gemini.k80cdc006luvw00xs at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>
          Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn
<jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Chris Shepheard <chris.shepheard at chrispics.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and found a
>> solution.
>>
>> I have VARPC-SA on a laptop and it prints absolutely fine via
>> Uni=Print to a printer connected directly or via a wireless printer
>> server to the Windows side.
>>
>> However if I try to print to a shared printer connected to via native
>> RPC (via the wireless network) the print comes out fine but is pushed
>> up into the top left corner of the paper.
>
> So, "not fine" rather than "fine" then?

You could say that!

> I'm unclear what you mean by "a shared printer connected to via native RPC
> (via the wireless network)".  Do you mean the printer is physically
> connected to a real RPC, and VRPC & the real RPC are sharing the printer?
> What device(s) is the print data being sent through?

The printer is connected to the "real" RPC via the parallel port. The
VRPC laptop connects to the RPC via wireless networking.

> Or that RO on the VRPC is sending data direct to the printer?  If the
> latter, what is the printer actually plugged into (ie what's receiving the
> wirelessly-sent data)?

See above - it's not a network printer.

>> If I transfer the file to the RPC and print from there the margins are
>> interpreted correctly.
>
> If you define a print-to-file printer on the real RPC and print a test
> document you'd end up with a PrintOut file containing the data that would
> normally be sent to the printer.
>
> If you separately define a print-to-file printer under VRPC and print the
> same test file, you should end up with another PrintOut file containing data
> that would normally be sent to the printer.
>
> These files of printer-instructions should be the same.  Are they?

I'll give that a try next time the machines are both on and report
back (it may be some time).

> Is the margin info that you think has gone missing defined in the
> application that is generating the print-out (eg in OvnPro), or by the
> printer definition in !printers?

They are defined in !Printers' paper sizes.

>> This occurs no matter what program/application I am printing from and
>> it seems to me that the paper margins are being ignored in the
>> transfer between the two machines.
>
> Or possibly scaling info?  When you said the failing printout was "pushed
> up" into the top corner do you just mean the top & left margin info is
> wrong, or that the size of the printed stuff has shrunk?

No everything is printed at the correct scale but all shifted up
towards the left-hand top corner.

I remember an old file in !Printers called "TopLeft" which helped sort
out this sort of problem. I've tried adjusting the margin settings in
the paper size dialogue but nothing seems to make any difference.

Chris

--

Chris Shepheard writing as himself
chris.shepheard at chrispics.co.uk