[Virtualacorn-list] ShareFS producing triplicate unusable files on VRPC

Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat Sep 20 16:47:56 BST 2008

Dr Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> In the last two or three days ShareFS has been behaving very oddly. If
> I try to transfer files from this Iyo to either of two copies of VRPC
> for Windows, I get on VRPC three copies of each file, with seemingly
> random dates, and with two copies of each of zero length. Rather than
> try to explain further, I've uploaded a screenshot of what I see,
> having transferred an OPro and a DataPower file, in VRPC to
> http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk/screen.jpg

Do all three copies get created at the same time?

If you look at the directory that contains them using Windows Explorer, and
select each in turn, then right-click and choose Properties, what does it
say for all of them?

It strikes me as interesting that the files showing date/time "DEADDEAD
E1CA496E" etc are the ones with non-zero size.  I have no idea how this
works, but I wonder if ShareFS when copying files first creates a dummy
file, then transfers data into it, then if it all worked, renames it to the
required target name and sets its filetype.  Possibly what you're seeing
might suggest the dummy files have failed to have a subsequent
rename/settype work ok.

Also in RO the date/time fields are the same ones as used for load and
execute address for files that contain some forms of program.  Because those
addresses are commonly represented as hexadecimal values, dummy files etc
sometimes take advantage of that to store what looks like sensible words (eg
DEAD).  Really you're seeing hex DE AD DE AD E1 CA 49 6E (etc).

> If I try to delete any of the zero-length files, they all three get
> deleted.

Is that deleting them from RO (on the VRPC system), or from Windows?