[Virtualacorn-list] VirtualRPC for the Mac - MacPop beta release 1

Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat Sep 20 09:52:48 BST 2008

lists <Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13 Sep, Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:
> > However, it looks as though Aaron's email client doesn't include
> > either, so there is nothing for Pluto to latch on-to in order to
> > thread the article. I doubt he'll be unique - if there's anyone
> > subscribed who uses Posty, for example.
>
> All theposts in this thread seem to be correctly sorted and attributed
> here. Pluto - Sort on Subject.

If you display this thread, in Pluto, with a 'sort on subject' display
definition then you are NOT looking at a threaded display.  You get a simple
list showing a succession of equally indented entries one for each message
posted under a particular subject line.

It's not attribution & subject display we're talking about.

You have to choose "Threads-Subject" which not only groups all the posts
which were made in each discussion together (though they may have different
subject lines if people revised those as discussions went off-topic), but
lets you see the overview of who replied to what.  When you double-click on
one message in the thread, then close its specific message content display
again (or move it aside), you're left looking at a sort of tree structure
which shows the relationship (who replied to what) of all the messages in
the thread.  That relationship depends on there being correct cross-
reference information in the headers of each message, but that information
is not present in Aaron's posts.

You might not much like that tree-structure, but it is useful for seeing at
a glance which posts were made on off-topic sub-threads.  It's useful too in
threads that run to hundreds or thousands of posts; you can for example tell
that a sub-thread which alternates between contributions made by people who
often troll, probably isn't worth looking at.  Others made by people whose
opinions you trust might be.  One can speed up reading of huge threads this
way.