[Virtualacorn-list] VirtualRPC for the Mac - MacPop beta release 1

Brian Carroll briancarroll at f2s.com
Sun Sep 14 10:39:43 BST 2008

In article
<gemini.k75pve00pauxy02rs at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>, Jeremy
Nicoll - virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:
>
> > Pluto ... sorts first by subject and second connects the
> > threads by using ... what?  The message ID is present in
> > Aaron's pstings but appears not to be used.

> I used to use Pluto.

> Actually the effect is not as you say, as far as I remember.
> I think Pluto works out which mails are in which thread, then
> builds a structure representing each thread.  It is then faced
> with the decision of how, when the threads are each reduced to
> a single entry, to decide what order those entries should be
> in.  ...

Yes, you are quite right.

> Each email has (or should have) a unique message-id.  An
> original post that starts a thread only has that.  All the
> others also have a list of the message-ids which are the
> parent, grandparent etc of the reply, and an "In-reply-to"
> header which identifies the specific mail a user replied to.

Yes, I understand that.  Further examination seems to show that
the list of earlier IDs needed to construct the tree is omitted
from the headers of Aaron's postings, nor is there a
'In-reply-to' header.

> Building the 'tree-structure' diagram for a thread is not as
> simple as you might expect because a particular user does not
> necessarily have all the intermediate mails on their machine
> at any one time ...

> A very useful feature in Pluto is that you can detach a
> sub-tree of mails/posts from the rest of a thread.  ...

Yes, I was aware of that but have forgotten how to do it.  It
does not seem to be relevant to the 'problem' in hand, though.

Thanks for your explanations.

Brian.