[Virtualacorn-list] VirtualRPC for the Mac - MacPop beta release 1

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Sat Sep 13 14:46:30 BST 2008

In message of 13 Sep, Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn
<jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> [_didn't_] wrote:

> > For some reasons Windows is not sending the right threading
> > information along with Aaron's replies so Reference ID (or whatever
> > it is that MPro uses) threading does not work.  But Subject
> > Threading does work.
>
> It's not /Windows/'s fault, but the client's.
>
> There's no such thing as "Subject Threading" as far as I know; you
> either have mails simply sorted by the Subject (and perhaps subsorted
> by dates etc), or you have threading.  Threaded displays pay no
> attention whatsoever to what's in a mail's subject line - that's the
> whole point. The references and in-reply-to headers convey the
> structure of the conversation, regardless of what people type in the
> Subject line.

Well, first see the little snapshot of MPro's configuration at:

  http://www.tim.ukpub.net/riscos/Mpro_group_edit.jpg

I have the 'Subject Threading' option ticked there.

Second, it works, it does do threading by subject.  (Unless you are
going to regard that expression as a contradiction in terms and that
instead the MPro designers shoud use something like 'Grouping by
Subject'.  Meanwhile a lot of others will continue to call it
'threading'.)

Can we have pistols at dawn?  It would be so much less obtrusive.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/