[Virtualacorn-list] New version of HostFS for Windows versions of Virtual...

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 13:52:15 BST 2008

jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk writes:

>> If anyone on the list has any problems installing  the  updates or
>> any other issues directly related to this update can  they  please
>> contact me directly, in the first instance, rather  than posting  to
>> the list.

>I have some general  questions about updates.

>I bought my VRPC-SA Adjust in late  2006.  When the Jan 2007 update was
>announced I downloaded it but  (I'm embarrassed to have to admit) that it's
>not totally clear from my  notes whether I actually installed it.

You can normally check the "current" state of your installed
VirtualRPC by looking at the:

!Boot.Utils.Version.txt file

This will contain a company name, then a date, and after
that the "equivalent" CD serial number of your copy after
any updates have been applied. You can then use this number
to see if an update on the website applies to your installation
or not.

>How can I tell - do updates 'register' in  Control-Panel's add/remove
>programs facility?  (If I press F1 under  VRPC I get an error message about
>an uninstalled helpfile - is that the  unfixed behaviour, or a separate
>problem?).  Or is there anything eg  in the VRPC "About VRPC" info that will
>show if an update is  present?  Or a .exe's file date or something?

Only major version updates to the executable will show in the
About VRPC window.

>Secondly, if one installs an update, and  there's a problem, how does one
>revert to the previous level?

You don't. The updates check before they install and should refuse
if something is amiss. If you want to "roll back" then the best idea
is to take a backup of the VRPC install before installing the  upgrade.

Aaron (VirtualAcorn)