[Virtualacorn-list] NetSurf on VRPC for Mac

Tricia Garner tricia at orchid-squad.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 17:36:32 BST 2008

On 09 Sep, in article <gemini.k6y9zy001ubol04b8.vince at softrock.co.uk>,
  Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:
> Tricia Garner <tricia at orchid-squad.org.uk> wrote:

> > Not quite sure whether this is a question for this list or for the
> > NetSurf one, but since it doesn't happen on the Iyonix I'm trying
> > here first...
>
> > When I view my web pages in NetSurf on the 'HardDisc' the Style
> > Sheet information is not acted upon e.g. headings and links etc.
> > are not displayed in the colours and styles specified but if I
> > view them on the host server they are displayed correctly. This
> > happens with all versions of NetSurf. Has anyone else noticed
> > this phenomenon?

> It might be neither! I suspect this is the same problem I had,
> thinking NetSurf couldn't load "local" stylesheets until John-Mark
> Bell (IIRC) pointed out the mistake I was making.

> It's probably caused by the way you link to your stylesheets - and
> the fact that the path to the file on one system is different to
> the path to the file on the other system.

> For example, in my site, I link to the stylesheets thusly:

>  /skin/stylesheet.css

> - 'skin' being a folder at the toplevel of the site, so that link
> works /wherever/ in the site any given page is. When viewed
> locally, however, the site is a few levels down from the root
> directory - so that link, locally, is broken so the stylesheet
> isn't loaded. For it to work, I'd have to create a directory called
> 'skin' in my root directory and copy the stylesheet there.

> To be sure I'm guessing correctly, though, it would be useful if
> you posted the link you use to your stylesheet, and the path on
> each system to one of your web pages (ie the contents of the URL
> bars - one working, one not).

They are identical in that the local files are held in Develop and
Published, Develop being the directory where files are worked on and
Published where the finished files are stored (I use HTMLEdit). The
stylesheet is held in a top level directory called Styles so the path
to the local version is
Websites.Orchid-Talk.Develop.styles.orchid/css and
Websites.Orchid-Talk.Published.styles.orchid/css and the link to the
external files is http://www.orchid-talk.co.uk/styles/orchid.css

Given that the same set-up works flawlessly on the Iyonix, I don't
really see why it doesn't work as expected on VRPC.

--

Tricia

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.